It was sunny and beautiful here yesterday with a high of 72. Rich came down at one point to put on sunscreen. It was that nice out. Would’ve been a great day for sailing, but we’re still in Jersey City banging out the rest of the projects on our list. Time to get a move on.
We’re working on it! Rich was at the shop all weekend cutting and varnishing all the rest of the puzzle pieces to finish our kitchen, nav station, and floors. And that pile of stuff from the storage unit is gone. Slowly but surely it’s starting to come together.
Of course, it just wouldn’t be right if we didn’t have a few new and unexpected items make their way onto the project list. One being the “head.” That’s sailor speak for the toilet. Let’s just say that “fix head!” is not something you want to see on any list, especially when preparing to leave the dock. Thankfully, we seem to have the situation under control.
Just to keep things interesting, we’ve also decided to throw a dodger into the mix. For those of you who aren’t familiar with them, dodgers are kind of like a windshield for the cockpit of the boat. They provide a little extra protection from the elements when the weather gets rough and are generally made of fabric with plastic windows, kind of like my old Jeep Wrangler’s soft top. Below you can see the plastic that Rich is using on the metal dodger frame to start patterning for the fabric.
One slight problem is the fact that our boat doesn’t have the coaming for a dodger, so Rich is improvising one out of wood. If that sounds complicated to you, don’t worry, it did to me too. But not to Rich. That’s why we love him! To make the coaming, he glued several layers of mahogany together to create one solid piece. Next, he used these orange and red bags of sockets I sewed as weights to bend it. Then he got out the saw to cut the coaming to fit. When he attaches it to the cabin top, he’ll add more pieces at the sides to fill the holes created by the arch. Then we can finish the patterning and order fabric. See? No big deal. Says Rich.
Meanwhile, I’ve been busy on a side project proofreading a book. I’ve also cancelled our Internet, forwarded our mail, and am in the middle of deciding which towing company to sign on with, Sea Tow or Boat US. With all the stories we’ve heard of groundings on the ICW it seems pretty reckless not to have some backup on hand. Ideally we’ll be paying for something we’ll never have to use, but if, God forbid, we do run aground and need assistance, those bills can add up really fast and cost a lot more than the annual fee we’ll be forking over.
I also finished one project that might not be mission critical, but is near and dear to my heart: round two of our settee pillows. Thinking I was being so clever and thrifty, I made most of the first-round pillow covers out of scrap fabric we had on hand, like this fun red and blue floral fabric.
Everything seemed fine, until they got damp (we do live on a boat, after all) and the colors started running all over everything. Here’s a pic of the first-round pillows. (Little black skull pillow courtesy of Mom.)
Apparently they make marine fabrics for a reason. Thankfully, the blue-and-white striped pillows were made from Sunbrella so we got to keep those!
These are the little ditty bags that Rich was using as weights to bend the coaming. I made them a while back to keep Rich’s 9 million sockets organized.